Thursday, February 7, 2008

Midlife weight loss

Is it easy, no. Is it possible, yes.
A lot of my clients are mid life and beyond and I myself have been through all of that. What all of us have found is that we have had to be much more careful than in the past.
What I will tell you is that when I was in the middle of menopause I was in the best shape of my life. That was about 6 years ago. My weight was the lowest it had been my whole adult life and I was setting world records in powerlifting. While I have worn a 10 or 12 since high school I now wore a size 8.

Here is the secret:
There is no secret

The way to be the best that you can be at any age is to pay strict attention to every morsel ( yes, even one M&M counts) that you put in your mouth. It isn't even enough to avoid the blatant sugars like candy, cake and pie. It is important to check out even the most innoculous of food. I have found many performance bars that were nothing more than glorified candy bars. Be on the lookout for sugar, honey, molasses, glycerin, high fructose corn syryp, corn syrup, glucose, lactose, and fructose. All many words for sugar.

I also was religious about my workouts, one hour of aerobics every day, 7 days a week and weight lifting ( heavy) three days a week.

I now find myself once again making the climb to a hard body. 12 weeks of recuperation from broken bones have left me with 5% higher bodyfat than I was last year and feet that don't work all that well.

Will I get back the hard athletic body I had before the accident? You bet, I am only 55!!!

No comments: